Monday, June 23, 2014

"Look at me."

Photo copyright Wings, 2014; all rights reserved.

Three of the most important words ever. Especially when dealing with fear, trauma, PTSD, and/or desensitization.

Ice was introduced to something new over the weekend: Fly spray. With predictable results.

I came outside and saw him whipping his back end around in a circle, trying to get away from it.  From 100 yards away, I called, "Ice. Look at me."

His ears twitched, he whirled around again toward the sound of my voice, he fixed his eyes on me, and slowed. Eyes still rolling, but fixated on me now, and Wings was able to finish the job.

It's a technique I've always used with my dogs whenever they've undergone something traumatic, or when they're in freak-out mode (not uncommon with badly abused rescues) and I need them to settle down fast.

i use it on the horses, too, and Ice really got introduced to it during the period we were having to tie him to the hitching post and crank on the lunge line jsut to get him medicated. So he knows what the words mean.

So tonight, I walk outside to take him back out to graze, and Wings is spraying him down again. Getting air as much as coat, because he's freaked, and the whole process really needs a second set of hands anyway.

I can get him to look at me long enough to allow for a spritz here and there, but the legs and the back end? No go. So I got the lead, attached it to the halter, and held him.

Twitching. Turning. Swishing his tail like a whip. Snorting. Eyes rolling; whites showing.

"Ice. Look at me. Look. at. me."

We got him done.

And he got his reward: another hour and a half outside grazing.

Sometimes, all you need is a new place to look.

No comments :

Post a Comment