Thursday, February 4, 2016

Thirty-Four Below

Photo copyright Aji, 2016; all rights reserved.

I was awakened just before 5:00 AM. The temperature was thirty-four degrees below zero.

No, not the wind chill. The actual temperature was THIRTY-FOUR BELOW.

Three hours later, after the sun had been up for two solid hours, we were at seven below. We're still not at zero yet.

Think about what that means in this place. This drafty uninsulated sheet-metal tin can, I mean. Really think about it. Nobody reading this fully grasps it; I can guarantee you that.

Everything will be late today. I can't get even minimally warm, and if I can't get warm, I can't function. I don't know how we're going to get some of the things done that need to be done right now, especially those out of doors. And we still have no washing machine; it's been a whole week, and the repairman still hasn't come out. Functionality is at a standstill right now on a lot of fronts.

We haven't had cold this deep since our first winter in this place. That exceeded this by a few more degrees yet. Then again, we could match that tonight, so who knows? The one saving grace is that this time, for the first time in these temps, we still have water.

I would really like everyone to think about what you have as you go through your days, what never occurs to you, what you take for granted, and what your life would be like if it were to disappear. Because, you know, we've been living that for a while now. And then maybe understand why I'm out of patience.



All content, including photos and text, are copyright Aji, 2016; all rights reserved. Nothing herein may used or reproduced in any form without the express written permission of the owner.