Monday, October 12, 2020

Maybe there's a reason.

Photo copyright Aji, 2020; all rights reserved.

Yes, she is looking right at me. She knows me.

::Sigh: this is a hard day. Good because a very dear friend was born on this day; bad because the outside world has designated it a day to honor the most vicious evils of colonialism; mixed because it's good that we are now beginning to honor Indigenous people instead, but a shame that it's in reaction to the former.

And there's the evil wrapped in the reminders of what this day is to me, the profoundly personal grief associated with the murder of my sister on this afternoon twenty-seven years ago. It hit me again, full force, while I was in the shower, and I was feeling particularly sad when I got out and got dressed. And out the bedroom window, who should I see but my girl, unusually close on the fencepost, as though coming to visit.

My sister was Butterfly Woman, and I always saw her in the mourning cloak, one of which flew past two days ago. But maybe there's a reason why my red-tailed girl knows me so well, and why she always comes when I need her most. 

As I said, this is a hard day, and I have a lot of offline work to do, beginning with getting tonight's green-chile chicken and squash stew under way. But thanks to a sale Friday evening and this morning to friends, and a very large sale last night to a very dear friend, we're going to be fine for the rest of the month. I can pay the remaining bills, including the monthly payment on my medical loan; I can also finally get the car towed to the shop later this week. We'll be able to put a little aside toward next month. So if you're planning on making donations to Indigenous folks on this day, please choose those who are unhoused, whose housing or food security is precarious, who have children who need things, who need to get medical care or prescriptions filled or a vehicle repaired.

Winter is coming, though, and neither the drought nor the pandemic is going anywhere. We will need to continue to make consistent sales through the end of the year (because normally, it's our holiday-season sales that see us through the first half of the following year). So please share the links, and when you're in the market for gorgeous, authentic, Spirit-infused Indigenous wearable art, Wings will have something perfect for you. The links are here:

Thanks.


All content, including photos and text, are copyright Wings and Aji, 2020; all rights reserved. Nothing herein may used or reproduced in any form without the express written permission of the owner.

   

No comments :

Post a Comment