Sunday, February 15, 2015

Coyote Waits

Photo copyright Aji, 2015; all rights reserved.
Actually, Coyote stares you insolently in the eye and says, "Whatchoo gonna do 'bout it?"

He's afraid of very little. I saw him just as I finished with evening chores, sauntering northward along inside the fenceline up by the gate. He wheeled to look at a passing vehicle, then turned around and headed back south, which took him past us on the western boundary. I just got the camera in time, and as I walked out to try to find him and grab a shot or two, he halted and stared straight at me.

I'm sure he was hoping for an easy chicken dinner, but he was too late; all the girls were already in for the evening. Of course, toward the southerly direction he was headed, there's ample evidence of nocturnal visitations by elk. Yesterday I heard a report of a cow [elk] nearby, possibly the mother of our little yearling visitor at year's end. 

If she is the mother, Coyote will be waiting a very long time.

It is, incidentally, the first photo I've ever gotten of Coyote. It's nowhere the quality of those Wings gets, of course, but that's why he's the professional and I'm the amateur. I haven't done any editing for the bright light of sundown, either; these are strictly as taken. But I was surprised to see that he was willing to stand still for me to get a couple of shots. Looking at them, he's had a good winter — sleek, well fed, and very, very beautiful.

Photo copyright Aji, 2015; all rights reserved.
He and the rest of his clan will be singing all night.



All content, including photos and text, are copyright Aji, 2015; all rights reserved. Nothing herein may used or reproduced in any form without the express written permission of the owner.

No comments :

Post a Comment