Friday, December 9, 2016

Next step: plumbing fixtures and rough-in. Shares needed.

Photo copyright Aji, 2016; all rights reserved.

I actually took this yesterday, after the crew knocked off for the weekend. I like the image, but the dizzying nature of it fits, too. 

Today started off with the MVD; I renewed my license online a full months ago, and still no license. They sent it to our physical address (where there is no USPS delivery) instead of our P.O. box. After multiple calls and waits, I got through to a very nice and very professional young woman, and it's on its way again (allegedly). 

It continued with the standpipe springing a massive leak in the middle of running a mid-morning load of laundry. Great gouts of water fountaining up and out all over the ground. Fortunately, I caught the washer at the end of the first spin cycle, so we didn't need to drain freezing graywater out of the washer (yes, we've had to do that in winters past). Couldn't shut off the handle, so I shut off the breaker to the well pump. Then I realized what had happened: It wasn't in the pipe, but in the handle itself. The guys have apparently been a little too rough with it, and with the cold, halfway through the wash cycle the washer on the side of the handle popped loose. We had this happen a few years ago, so I spun it a little tighter, got it shut off, and when Wings got home, he tightened it properly.

Of course, by then my schedule was completely shot. I had planned to post this this morning, along with the post for Wings's site, but no . . . . So, most of my work is bumped to tomorrow apparently.

Next week, I think we're going to have to focus on the plumbing, so that the crew can finish off the bathrooms, kitchen, and utility room drywall and so forth. It's not gonna come cheap. It means starting to buy fixtures sooner than I'd planned, plus more money to the plumbers. So ass I said last night, we still need consistent daily shares:



  • Shares of Wings's site; sales are way, way down this holiday season, and this is the time of year that usually gets us (mostly) through the long harsh winters. This year, it's also funding construction. Testimonials help.
  • If you're considering commissioning holiday gifts by Wings, now's the time to contact me so I can get your order into his workbench queue.
  • One last thing: I mentioned above that the plumbers are coming, and bathroom-fixture purchases are in the offing. To that end, I've added Lowes gift cards to our Amazon wishlist. No, there's no Lowes here in Taos, but there's one an hour-plus away in EspaƱola. Less obnoxious (and less expensive, and less far away) than Home Depot, and an actual selection and discount pricing that are not available here in town. It's by far the most cost-efficient way for us to buy the bathroom fixtures, which we're going to have to do very soon so that they can complete the plumbing rough-in and our crew can get to those rooms.
Thanks to everyone for your help thus far, with special thanks to a few folks over the last few days, and this evening, who have suddenly made progress possible once again. We are going to need to push through this, hard, fast, and and consistently. Winter is here: Snow, ice, bitter cold, and a septic system that freezes nightly because it was misinstalled all those years ago. No snow until Sunday, allegedly, although a 45-degree high might turn that to rain. And then ice, natch. Please give us a hand with consistent daily shares to a wide audience.

Also, for the record, I'm supporting exactly three efforts right now: Oursmy s-i-l'sLin's. Dassit. Not endorsing anything else here, even if I have in the past.



All content, including photos and text, are copyright Aji, 2016; all rights reserved. Nothing herein may used or reproduced in any form without the express written permission of the owner.

No comments :

Post a Comment