Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Hunter, Twelve Years On

Photo copyright Wings, 2021; all rights reserved.

One of my favorite images of our beautiful girl: Hunter, twelve years on now.

It seems impossible that she can have been gone twelve years already; she was part of us many more years than that. And still it was far too early; immune-mediated thrombocytopenia and immune-mediated hemolytic anemia, which we managed to catch and halt the prior July, but by February, it was back.

It was one the worst Valentine's Days ever, art of a long week of traveling daily to Santa Fe to a specialized vet, until her condition became so bad that we had to transfer her to another vet there . . . and it took no more than a day or two for the reality to make itself known.

We couldn't even be there. The vet and the techs all held her collectively on their laps, with us on the open phone line, as we all sent her on her journey. And I weep every time I think of it, because this is the little girl who adopted me the very second she saw me, who refused to let me go, who, with her sister BearGirl, made it plain that I was the one and they were not about to let anything change that.

And I am so tired tonight that I know I will not get through this without breaking down, so I won't even try. At just after 4:30 PM, the time she left us, I took cedar and tobacco and water out to where her ashes are scattered, just barely mobile enough to manage it in a foot of snow. Sunny came with me, perhaps to bear witness in his way; he seems to know these things. And I miss our sweet baby girl desperately, this fuzzy flying bullet, this little ball of fur who was such pure love.

We love you, Hunter.  The hole in our hearts makes room for your spirit, baby girl.


All content, including photos and text, are copyright Wings and Aji, 2021; all rights reserved. Nothing herein may used or reproduced in any form without the express written permission of the owner.

 

No comments :

Post a Comment