Thursday, September 16, 2021

The better option is the bear.

Photo copyright Aji, 2021; all rights reserved.

What's notable about that image up there is what's not in it. A couple of days ago, that tree was heavy with hundreds of ripening pears. Hundreds, literally. As of yesterday morning? Not a single one. Not a single one on the ground, either, no half-eaten targets of magpies or other birds.

Which means that a couple of nights ago, we either had a bear here, or a trespassing human, complete with ladder.

The better option is the bear.

Yeah, I mean that literally. A bear coming that close to the house at night means next to nothing, because they and the horses don't bother each, the chickens are locked up, and Cricket's smart enough to stay in his doghouse. The pups are indoors overnight with us, and the bear's not hurting anybody.

The prospect of a person this close to the house at night? Is terrifying. We're entirely fenced and way, way back from the road. It would take some doing. That night, Cricket was having a fit outside, and the pups here inside. I even went downstairs around 3 AM to see what was going on; couldn't see a thing. But they would bark at a bear from a safe distance. A human? They'd be off the chain with it. So I think we had a young one here a month early, which usually means a heavy winter, so I hope that proves to be right.

An early, heavy winter is our only hope of saving the land, particularly without a well.

But even apart from the well, that doesn't include what we will need to get out of this month, because bills are still due, including my medical loan, quarterly taxes, and so much else, and the last round of aid to folks in our community last week wiped us out. If we don't make some sales fast, and several of them, we don't even make it out of this month in one piece. The relatives part of it has had us entirely tapped out in the first week of this month. Given that my pain has reached such a disabling point that some days I can barely walk, there's not much I can do to bring in anything except chase sales online. I posted 4 pairs of silverwork earrings here yesterday. Sunday night I posted Wings's newest pair of silver-and-stone earrings and one complete group (necklace/earrings/coil) of gemstone bead jewelry; they're all fabulous, and you can see them all here. Monday, I posted the second three-piece gemstone bead collection, which you can see here; later tonight, I should have his three new silverwork earrings pairs posted. He also  has five new pieces that I posted last Monday: three Warrior Woman pins, two absolutely incredible new cuffs. If I could sell them, or any combination of any of his other newish pieces, it would get us out of this month. If I could sell one of the big ones, like one of the belts, maybe I could get us on the drill list. But I've got way too much to do and too few hours and other resources to do it. I am so tired, all the time, but the quarterly taxes coming due, AND I have to cover at least my eye stuff (which will set me back a smooth grand before I'm done, since I need new lenses and so forth besides), because this is a drug that can take your vision if you happen to be one who is genetically susceptible, and we won't know the answer to that until I can get the testing done. All of that means that I have to bring in some sales now, and FAST. We won't make it through this month otherwise; we're already down to the bone. 

But there's all that new work, and I'd be grateful to everyone who shares all of it, and of course, if you're in the market, keep us in mind for purchases. After paying our taxes the last week plus some other bills, I really do need to build up some reserves to get us just a tiny bit ahead of the eight-ball of bills.

Anyway, links are here:
  • Sales here
  • Testimonials here
  • Amazon wishlist here (priorities are all the mosquito-prevention items, especially the portables and the patio-surface ones, because Wings can take them around the land with his as he works);
  • Patreon here;
  • Ko-fi here.

And if you've been contemplating a purchase? This would be a very, very good time to do it; I've got to cover all this staggering outlay somehow and get us through what's left of the year. And right now? I have no way to do it.  But there's lots of fabulous new work, so please share all of the links. 


All content, including photos and text, are copyright Wings and Aji, 2021; all rights reserved. Nothing herein may used or reproduced in any form without the express written permission of the owner.                                           

No comments :

Post a Comment