Tuesday, May 9, 2017

"Power outage and winter returns" edition.

Photo copyright Aji, 2017; all rights reserved.

[Note: I'm leaving this exactly as written earlier, because after hours with no power, I'm just that annoyed.]

It’s been one of those days where everything goes wrong, not least of which is a day of heavy storms and a return to winter, with the power out for hours. Worse, Indian Killer Utility admitted that they sent ALL of their techs up to Red River to deal with an outage there, and at the time Wings called, said that it would be at least two more hours before any of them returned to Taos even to diagnose the problem. I have never seen such shitty electric service in my life - we have more outages in any three consecutive months of any given year than all of NYC and DC combined in all the years I lived there - and given that we’re paying through the nose for it, I’m not happy to be sitting in the dark and the cold without running water (because the well pump is electric).

Add to that the monsoonal weather patterns this early, before we’ve been able to do the exterior plaster on the house, has water leaking in all over the place. The one thing that got done today that was showable was the hanging of the front doors, above, but even that has turned out to be a problem, because the guy who made them made the frame too wide for his own doors. It’s correctable, but it shouldn’t have happened in the first place.

No, I’m not in a good mood; why do you ask?

Anyway. Truck’s still not done, either. No time today to finish off the painting upstairs, because everybody under the sun kept pulling me away from my actual work for other stuff (so much so that I couldn’t even get a shower this morning, and now I can’t take one because there’s no water). Much more heavy rain projected for tonight and tomorrow. It’s thundering again right now, and it’s getting darker and colder by the second. If this can’t be posted tonight, just know that, yes, it was written Tuesday, and so was the post at Wings’s site. (Another thing that bites: I’d just finished the post but delayed hitting “publish” and sending it viral because I wanted to get the chickens and dogs in and evening chores done before the next wave of storms hit. In the fifteen minutes I was outside, while it was CLEAR, the power went out, and it’s been out ever since. At any rate, both posts are done today/tonight, Tuesday, May 9th, regardless of what the “post” timestamp ultimately shows. Yes, this kind of stuff pisses me off.)

And I am SO irritated that I'm just cutting and pasting from the previous night's post:
We're okay at the moment on [the cash] front (although how long that will last is anybody's guess, given that we're in the final and by far the most expensive stages). So as I said last night, right now, the best ways to help are as follows: by sharing the link to Wings's site (preferably with a testimonial, if you have some of his work), because sales are gonna keep this thing rolling; and sharing the link to our wishlist (which badly needs updating), with an emphasis on the Lowe's gift cards, because those are what will help us pay for all the stuff that will make this place liveable, like a water heater and flooring and so forth.
As I also said, as far as folks in need of immediate help with donations. Lauralee needs help badly right now. So does Karen. Please share their links, and kick in if you can. They're both on much tighter timetables, and there are health and safety concerns at issue for both of them. We'll be good for a little for both as soon as we can, but right now, we have a $1,425 repair bill for the truck hanging over us that has to be paid next week. After that, I can calculate where we are a little better, and squeeze some out of our most recent sale for each of them, I hope.

I have a lot to do tonight for [tomorrow]; it's going to be a very busy, very stress-filled week here. Many thanks and much love to everyone. As to everything else, I'm going to keep saying this: It's time to fight.




All content, including photos and text, are copyright Aji, 2017; all rights reserved. Nothing herein may used or reproduced in any form without the express written permission of the owner.

No comments :

Post a Comment