Friday, May 5, 2017

Second and third color coats (fourth tomorrow). Interior plaster also tomorrow, and assorted other chaos.

Photo copyright Aji, 2017; all rights reserved.

My knees got a workout today, beyond their usual: I still had two walls in need of their second color coat (sponge-on of the metallic bronze). But as I hinted the yesterday, I wasn't really happy with it, and long before I finished that coat, it was already clear that I'd be applying a third that I custom-mixed myself. So I finished coat #2, then mixed the bronze with leftover copper, and started coat #3. It's probably not really clear above, but that's the result, and it's much warmer. Here's a close-up, with lighting that makes it look a lot paler/cooler than it is:

Photo copyright Aji, 2017; all rights reserved.

Tomorrow, the red gets rolled on and sponged off. It's a bright clear red, but I'm thinking of adding a little of the copper to it, too. Oh, who the hell am I kidding; I'll wind up doing it. Regardless, the color sis going to look very different by this time tomorrow.

Also tomorrow, Sherm comes with his guy(s) to finish the last of the interior scratch coat and (we hope) begin the color coat. Downstairs will look very different very soon, too, a warm red-gold earthy shade shot through with flecks of mica. Also tomorrow, a local high-school kid is coming to help with some of the labor — cleaning the ditches, prepping for irrigation, mending fences, etc. He's the youngest son of Wings's late best friend, a fellow Taos Pueblo artist and distant cousin who walked on more than ten years ago now. And if we go with the bid we're looking at right now on the exterior work, it'll be about half what we quoted yesterday, for everything. 

Right now, the best ways to help are as follows: by sharing the link to Wings's site (preferably with a testimonial, if you have some of his work), because sales are gonna keep this thing rolling; and sharing the link to our wishlist (which badly needs updating), with an emphasis on the Lowe's gift cards, because those are what will help us pay for all the stuff that will make this place liveable, like a water heater and flooring and so forth.

As far as folks in need of immediate help with donations, as I said last night. Lauralee needs help badly right now. So does Karen. Please share their links, and kick in if you can. We'll be good for a little for both as soon as we can, but right now, we have a $1,425 repair bill for the truck hanging over us that has to be paid next week. After that, I can calculate where we are a little better, and squeeze some out of a sale for each of them, I hope.

For now, I still have work tonight (again); among other things, some clients who are good friends arrive in town tomorrow, and will be stopping by to see the house and so forth sometime over the next few days — and of course, I'm waaaaayyyyy behind on everything. Many thanks and much love to everyone, and don't forget what I said last night: It's time to fight.



All content, including photos and text, are copyright Aji, 2017; all rights reserved. Nothing herein may used or reproduced in any form without the express written permission of the owner.


No comments :

Post a Comment