Thursday, August 3, 2017

Tornado weather. We need to be in a safe space, and we're not there yet. Shares and sales needed.

Photo copyright Aji, 2017; all rights reserved.

Welp, I did not manage to get the last eight cases from the first pallet of tile sorted — because of that up there. Yes, there was rotation in those clouds; we were just damn lucky that the tornado never touched down, at least not here. Wings was taking hay to the horses down the road, and then taking River to meet his mom, when it hit; I was here with the dogs and the wind literally trying to pick up this RV and throw it like a Tonka toy. It's a scary feeling to have the wind come underneath you and try to raise your "home" off its blocks. I was thisclose to grabbing the dogs and going next door to hide in the tiny downstairs shower stall, but mercifully, it passed us by before touching down completely (or spinning out, whichever it ultimately did).

In the meantime, we had at least four brownouts, at least a dozen blackouts, a bunch of small willow branches down, and three big ones down, like this:

Photo copyright Aji, 2017;
all rights reserved.
We also lost an entire section of fence — the whole thing blown completely over, just flattened:

Photo copyright Aji, 2017; all rights reserved.
And I will be so glad when we're out of this damn dangerous tin can and into a solid, stable house.

But that time is not yet.

The one thing we did get done was unpacking a first round of flooring cases to let the planks air out (they absorb humidity while packaged, and need to dry completely before they can be installed):

Photo copyright Aji, 2017; all rights reserved.

We'll do the next round this weekend.

Meanwhile, today's severe weather simply points up how desperately we have to get out of this place and into the house. And we can't do that until it's habitable, and it's not there yet. Compared to a year ago, we've made huge progress, but there's still such a long way to go, and we have a lot of extreme weather ahead of us in the very near term, too. This was one of only two times that I've been truly scared for our chances during a storm while we've been in this RV, but this one was bad.

So we need to make sales, and we need shares:
  • Wings's site, for sales;
  • Lowe's cards (the physical version) via our Amazon wishlist;
  • Lowe's e-cards (delivered via e-mail) here; and
  • Home Depot cards via the company site. The e-version using my e-mail address is great; I take the tablet to the store with me, and they scan it off the screen.
There is so much left to do yet before we can move in. And we really don't need another repeat of today, although given the upcoming forecasts, I suspect we'll have one, or probably more than one, before the season's out. So please, please, share the links, and help us get into a safe space as soon as possible. 

All content, including photos and text, are copyright Aji, 2017; all rights reserved. Nothing herein may used or reproduced in any form without the express written permission of the owner.

No comments :

Post a Comment