Thursday, September 21, 2023

A death economy.

Photo copyright Aji, 2023; all rights reserved.

More unseasonal clouds, low and heavy. That was this morning; most of them are gone now, but whats left in their wake are far too many bare spots on the peaks, where whole stands of trees are now gone. And no, I don't mean gone in the temporary seasonal sense, when it's just the dormancy of leaf loss; I mean GONE, in the literal sense, where all that's left is tundra, soil, and rock.

I wish people would stop talking about climate change or even crisis. We're already in collapse, everywhere, even if people don't want to admit it. We're well past the point of mere "emergency." This is literal life and death now, and people want to pull deadly lithium out of sacred lands instead of cutting their conspicuous consumption and call it "green." It's not green, it's the opposite, and those pushing this bullshit are not environmentalists, no matter how much you pretend to style yourselves as "movement leaders."  You're the problem.

When the land and waters die, so does everything else. No amount of self-delusion will make that anything but the simple truth. But these lands are being destroyed daily by rampant colonial destruction. The people of this place can't even afford to live here anymore. A tourism economy is a death economy, the only question is the rate at which the dying occurs. 

And I no longer have the ability to get around that by simple work. I physically can't do everything that needs doing, and I just don't have enough hours in the day to push sales the way it needs to be done. And with half a dozen sales so far this year? We are not going to make it. It's the middle of September; we have three and a half months to get through, and he needs to stock up on supplies for holiday work. We have a whole winter to get through, which last much, much longer than that. Wings has already abandoned any notion of getting the dental work that he so badly needs to have done properly; I canceled last week's medical appointment for myself. 

But ultimately, none of that matters if I don't bring money in, and I'm failing spectacularly at that this year. I'm stretching myself too thin, trying to update numerous platforms daily, and none of it's working; our Web site hits are still at record lows (save for the hack attempts, natch), and sales, of course, are abysmal. And this, going into our supposed busy season of the year. We have to make up a LOT of ground financially over the next four months. A LOT. And I cannot maintain the pace or workload I have in years past; hell, I can barely walk, and I have to limit my typing time now, too [constant dislocations in my dominant hand]. I need help, but there isn't any, and there's nothing to be done about illness except try to adapt to it worsening rapidly now. All the links are listed below, so please share:

  • Sales here
  • Testimonials here
  • Amazon wishlist here (apparently the sponges are unavailable, but the other two things I need that I can't get here are the Bar Keeper's Friend coffeemaker cleaner and descaler; we're entirely out of both [or Amazon cards, and I can order them myself]); 
  • Patreon here;
  • Ko-fi here.

There's lots of fabulous work on the site, and the five new pairs of simple concha earrings I mentioned yesterday will in fact be up later today. Things are not just grim here, they're desperate, so please share all of the links. 



All content, including photos and text, are copyright Wings and Aji, 2023; all rights reserved. Nothing herein may used or reproduced in any form without the express written permission of the owner.                  

No comments :

Post a Comment