Monday, June 24, 2019

Everything is dry.

Photo copyright Aji, 2019; all rights reserved.

The northeast field at mid-afternoon yesterday. We only did the north/northeast fields this year; east and south are too overgrown with inedible weeds, with too little actual hay. Now that we're down to two horses, there's not as much need for it, and neither of these too needs much in the way of alfalfa anyway, which is entirely what those fields were pre-drought. The north was always grass only on the far end and a bit of alfalfa closer in, so it's a good mix for Miskwaki and Miika.

The rain the night before proved to be irrelevant, since the hay had, thankfully, not been cut yet. Had he shown up as scheduled, it would've been lying in the fields, soaking up all the water in heavy masses and risking rot; since it was still standing, it had time to dry out, and the winds from yesterday and today will be enough to dry it thoroughly for baling tomorrow, probably. And everything is dry. I had to walk up to open the gate this morning, and the soil is like ash. If the rain forecast for this coming weekend doesn't materialize, we're in trouble. And by "we," I mean the whole area. The grass is already browning again, and the maples have begun turning, thanks to the freezing nights. We need more warmth, and more rain with it.

We need the other sort of rain, too. We need to pick up two scrips today, one for each of us; next week, we're hoping we can get the plumbing repairs mostly finished, however much it costs. Next week is also quarterly taxes for '19. And then we worry about the walls (and the possibility of the kitchen plumbing/wall also being shot), and at some point, I have to shove everything else that needs to be paid out of my mind and get serious about figuring out the next round of medical tests for me. That's, of course, if they don't figure out for me with demands for yet another biopsy because of this new mass in my throat/neck.

I am, quite literally, focused on nothing but sales right now (I mean, over and above how we're going to correct everything that needs correcting and pay everything that needs paying). Of course, that means my stress levels are epic, and I already have more than enough in that regard just with the breathing problems and the medical stuff still hanging over me like the blade on a pendulum. We have to make consistent sales to survive, and we're way down on the season, and that has to change or we don't make it. So here's the cut-and-paste: sales here; testimonials here; wishlist (such as it is still) here. Thanks to the two folks who sent in testimonials; I'm going to try to get them up tonight, although it all depends on how the rest of the day goes. We need more folks to send them in, too. Wings will have the new bead pieces (two necklaces; four pairs of earrings) done today, and the belt in a matter of days, probably. I'll be posting the bead items later today, so please share them as they drop.

And now, I have to take a couple of hours to work on some of the physical labor that has me so far behind, before my pain levels spike above and energy levels drop below that short-lived median that permits me to do it.



All content, including photos and text, are copyright Aji, 2019; all rights reserved. Nothing herein may used or reproduced in any form without the express written permission of the owner.

No comments :

Post a Comment