Thursday, May 23, 2019

I would laugh, but I don't have the breath for it.

Photo copyright Aji, 2019; all rights reserved.

She was looking at me rather quizzically yesterday, but that's not really the word for today. Something's up with Blogger, refusing to load images, so I've had to find workarounds. If the images don't render today, now you know why. I think . . . hmm, maybe "not here for it" is a better rendering of how I'm feeling.

Nothing else is rendering properly in this wind, of course. We've got 40- to 50-mph sustained winds, and they say to expect gusts surpassing 60 mph. It's brutal, and dangerous, and it makes my entire body shriek with pain. Give me any other kind of weather, but not this trickster nonsense.

The house seems empty without Raven. The prednisone made him feel hot much of the time, so one of his favorite places to lie was, natch, on the tile right smack in front of the door. Which opens inward, so, yeah, every time we came in from outside, we cracked the door and peeked around it to avoid whacking him if he happened to be lying there. And we're both still doing it.

And we're not the only ones who notice his absence. The guys who are working helping Wings get the fencing repaired, among other things? Wings told me that when they got here yesterday, every one of them went over individually to Raven's grave to pay their respects, so to speak. We know how deeply our animals' spirits are entwined with ours, but it's kind of amazing to see how much that also holds true for other people who come here.

Kit is banished, temporarily, to join Cricket in the doghouses with the heated frisbees overnight, because night before last, when we took Chinook up with us for the first time, he thought it would be a good idea to mark turf in the bedroom, and NOPE. So last night, it was just Chinook, and she promptly jumped up on the bed and flopped her big heavy head down on my foot and went to sleep. I guess the bed is hers, too, now. 

We are slowly getting certain things done in the aftermath: washing rugs, etc. And wind or no, I have a lot more to do today on the physical-labor front, and my asthma/breathing difficulties make me a whole lot slower at the best of times. Today, in this wind? I would laugh, but I don't have the breath for it.  But I gotta get on it.



All content, including photos and text, are copyright Aji, 2019; all rights reserved. Nothing herein may used or reproduced in any form without the express written permission of the owner.

No comments :

Post a Comment