Friday, May 31, 2019

Tiring. Also deadly.

Photo copyright Aji, 2019; all rights reserved.

Dawn yesterday. Beautiful, but cold. It's much warmer today, so far, at least; no rain in the forecast, but there wasn't a couple of days ago, either, and we got sleet.

Yesterday proved to be an expensive day, too. The young man who helps out around here? And by "young man," I mean minor, a kid who literally just turned seventeen. He and his mother, who is battling widespread metastatic cancer that will likely be terminal, are being evicted. Today. And they've tried thirty different potential rentals, and with almost no exceptions, no one will even bother to return their calls or take them to see the properties. Why? Because they're poor and brown and Indigenous. It's tiring. Also deadly.

So. If they don't get all their stuff out today, the landlord will, natch, throw it away or keep it or sell it. So yesterday, we rented them a storage unit at the same place where our stuff is stored, which, being set up in our name the way ours is, garnered us a whole whopping $4/month discount. We also paid a month of their vehicle insurance for them, and gave them sone cash to cover food and get them into a motel for tonight and a few more days and nights. How we get them permanent housing, though, I have no idea. My only thought for getting around the racism and credit-check issues is them being able to pay for a year's rent up front, but they sure as hell don't have that kind of scratch, and we don't, either. So I dunno what to do, but they can't live out of a motel indefinitely, especially with the medical situation that's ongoing, so we have to help them figure this out somehow.

Anyway. That's one more thing added to my ever-growing to-do list. Add to that my own medical issues, including this new mass in my neck and the breathing problems resulting from no maintenance asthma meds that I can take, apparently, and I'm very overloaded right now. Some of you have noticed that I've been stepping back on social media more than usual the last couple of weeks. Expect that to become more pronounced, beginning tomorrow. I'll still be around and reachable, but I need to work on these issues, plus the repairs here and other stuff, and I need to focus both on my Patreon and my novel. I'll still be posting the regular items, and still promoting Wings's work, and those of you who know how to reach me can still do so. But I need some space to get some of this stuff handled without all the added stress of social media. Just expect to see me only when you see me.



All content, including photos and text, are copyright Aji, 2019; all rights reserved. Nothing herein may used or reproduced in any form without the express written permission of the owner.

No comments :

Post a Comment